NGS medal 1793-1840, 1 clasp, Algiers (J. H. Lloyd, Volr. 1st Class.) NGS medal 1793-1840, 1 clasp, Algiers (J. H. Lloyd, Volr. 1st Class.) NGS medal 1793-1840, 1 clasp, Algiers (J. H. Lloyd, Volr. 1st Class.) NGS medal 1793-1840, 1 clasp, Algiers (J. H. Lloyd, Volr. 1st Class.) NGS medal 1793-1840, 1 clasp, Algiers (J. H. Lloyd, Volr. 1st Class.) NGS medal 1793-1840, 1 clasp, Algiers (J. H. Lloyd, Volr. 1st Class.)

NGS medal 1793-1840, 1 clasp, Algiers (J. H. Lloyd, Volr. 1st Class.)

Also, unusually the recipient of a silver St. Jean d’Acre medal. Claimed Clasp for Syria but but not awarded.

Portrait from

Commander John Hughes Lloyd was born on 7th July, 1803, at Gwerclas, near Corwen in the Upper Dee Valley, Merionethshire (now Gwynedd), the second son of Richard Hughes Lloyd, Esq., (1768 - 1823) Major of the Royal Merioneth Militia, (who lost the family fortune and mortgaged the estate) by Caroline (1772 – 1816), daughter of Henry Thompson, Esq. Sadly his mother Caroline died on 26th November 1816, the day following the birth of her 11th child.
The Gwerclas estate, which consisted off Gwerclas Mansion, 235 acres of demesne lands, a walled garden, a coach-house and other buildings, a valuable bed of lime-stone with five Kilns’ together with a water corn mill, and 25 properties and farms, including a woollen factory and the ‘Cynwy’ public house, was sold on Richard’s sudden death in 1824, (see PDF document) ending the family’s log association with Gwerclas.

Gwerclas Hall, where John Hughes Lloyd was born

The family is of illustrious Welsh extraction, and of collateral descent from King Henry VII. His nine siblings were Richard Walmesley (b.1801), Capt. Edward Salsbury (b.March1806, died in India) later Col. 49th NI, Hugh Hughes (b. November1807), also in the service of the Honourable East India Company, Dorothea (b.1809), William Heaton (b.June1811), Caroline Margaret (b.1812), Francis Yale (b.1813?), Jane (b.1815?) and Sarah Margaretta (b.1816).
John entered the Navy as Volunteer 1st Class in HMS Royal George on 13th June, 1815, at 12 years of age. He passed his examination on 22nd July 1822, and obtained his commission on 1st Sept. 1831.

Career summary
Entry Rank

13 June 1815
10th Aug 1815
Royal George
1st rate 100
Vol. 1st Class


15th Sept 1815
? Dec 1815
Brig 18
Vol. 1st Class

22nd Jan 1818
15th July 1819
Brig 20
Vol. 1st Class

Wrecked June 1st 1819
16th July 1819
22nd Jan 1821
Frigate 36
Vol. 1st Class
West Indies
Promoted 2nd Jan 1820
23rd Jan 1821
12th May 1821
Brig 18

West Indies

13th May 1821
1st June 1821

West Indies
Awaiting posting
2nd June 1821
25th Aug. 1821
Frigate 36

West Indies

26th Sept.1821
27th April 1824
Frigate 36

Cork, Ireland

28th Apr. 1824
7th Oct. 1824.
Bomb 6
M. Mate

20th Oct.1824
5th May 1826
Prince Regent
N & S America

6th May 1826
17th Sept. 1829
Brig 16

18th Sept.1829
11th June 1830
3rd rate 60

Promoted 12th Sept. 1821

4 years awaiting s ship
14th Oct 1834
3rd Oct. 1835
Sloop 6

West Africa

Half pay. 4 years
13th May 1840
4th Nov. 1841
2nd rate 92

Coast of Syria

Half pay. 14 years
13 July 1854
22nd April 1856
Prison hulk

In Comd. Russian PoW’s
12th May 1856
20th Oct. 1863
Agent for Mails


17 Oct 1863



Promoted on Retired List

HMS Royal George (1st rate 100) 13th June 1815 to 10th Aug. 1815
1st Class Volunteer. Under training.

HMS Heron (Brig-sloop 18) 15th September 1815 to December 1816
1st Class Volunteer. Arrived Deal 15th Nov 1815 having been in collision with the James, from Newcastle to Charlestown, and arrived Plymouth 29 Jan 1816 under jury masts from Scotland. Remained at Plymouth preparing for the forthcoming Algerine Expedition. On 28 Jul 1816 she departed as a part of a fleet of 19 vessels from Plymouth Sound, bound for Gibraltar and the bay of Algiers. The fleet arrived at Gibraltar on 9 Aug 1816, where it joined the Dutch expeditionary squadron, which had arrived the previous evening. Whilst at Gibraltar the fleet was victualled and preparations made for the forthcoming battle, with gunnery practice &c. taking place. 

A Brig-sloop

On 27th August 1816, the allied fleet sailed into Algiers Bay with the object of getting the Dey of Algiers to submit and release the hundreds of Christian slaves he held. If he did not submit peacefully, the allied fleet. Would force him to by destroying his fleet and, bombarding the very powerful shore defences into submission, The four little Brigs (Heron, Mutine, Cordelia and Britomart), were given orders to support the ships-of-the-line in any way possible during the battle, and if necessary to be sacrificed to save them. The fleet sailed into the bay, with the flagship anchoring some 50 yards from the harbour mole. There was a strange period of quiet while Exmouth waited for the Dey to reply to his demands. Suddenly at about mid-day, a gun on the mole fired into the Queen Charlotte, and Exmouth gave the order to commence the attack. As always, battle plans do go wrong, and some of Lord Exmouth’s capital ships had managed to get themselves into the wrong place as the battle started, and anchored out of position, notably Admiral Milne aboard Impregnable, who was 400 yards from where he should have been. This error reduced the effectiveness of these ships and exposed them to fiercer Algerian fire. Some of the other ships did sail past Impregnable and anchored in positions closer to the battle plan. The unfortunate gap created by the misplaced HMS Impregnable was closed by the frigate HMS Granicus.  Captain George Bentham sailed the little gun sloop Heron (single deck, 18 guns) along the battle line, and anchored shortly astern of the flagship Queen Charlotte (3 deck, 104 guns), which was by now in the thick of the fighting. Heron actually anchored in the position allocated to the vastly more powerful HMS Superb (2 deck, 74 guns), so playing the role of a major ship-of-the-line during the bombardment.

The Battle of Algiers, Tuesday 27th August 1816

The battle continued throughout the day and into the night, with both sides slogging it out causing substantial damage to their opponents. As the dark wore on, by 10pm the allied cannonade began to slacken, as their munitions stores were almost empty, and they had little means to continue the bombardment. By now the surgeon’s cockpits were overflowing with the wounded. As though by common agreement the Algerine fire also began to slacken. At 11pm virtually out of ammunition, Exmouth ordered the fleet to cut their cables and withdraw out of range. The Algerine fire did not cease until about 1am. Exmouth ordered the wounded to be properly attended, and repairs made to his ships. The Algerines worked on their battered fortifications. The following afternoon, with most of his fleet destroyed (some 50 or so ships), and much of his defences, and virtually all of his city in ruins, the Dey realised that he could not win, and signalled his acceptance of Exmouth’s terms, and the battle was over. At the conclusion of the battle, Lord Exmouth, anxious to get his despatches to the Admiralty, so he ordered Admiral Milne to sail in Leander (frigate, 58 guns) for Gibraltar and on to Portsmouth. Exmouth guessed that he would probably make slow time due to the wind conditions at that time of year, so he gave a second set to Captain Brisbane of the Queen Charlotte with orders to sail on the fast sloop Heron to Marseilles or Genoa and then proceed overland. They left Algiers on September 1st. The stiff north-wester which prevented Milne from reaching Gibraltar also prevented Captain Bentham’s Heron from reaching France or Italy. Having manged to reach the island of Minorca, Brisbane instructed Bentham to drop him anywhere on the mainland. Fighting the wind all the way, Heron managed to reach Barcelona, and Brisbane began his overland journey, which turned into an epic 800 mile adventure. He finally reached the Admiralty on 15th September, well before Admiral Milne, who arrived on the 27th, and was rewarded with a payment of £500.

The British suffered 128 killed and 690 wounded – a significant number of whom later died. The Dutch lost 13 killed and 52 wounded. The Algerine casualties could not be established, but was believed to be in the region of 8,000, most of them Janissaries (soldiers)

The fleet departed from Algiers for Gibraltar and England on 3rd September, and although the Heron remained in the Mediterranean for a short period to perform certain duties at Genoa and Gibraltar following the Battle of Algiers, she arrived back in Portsmouth 17th October 1816, and put under quarantine, but released two days later.

HMS Erne (Brig 20) 22nd Jan 1818 to 15th July 1819
Vol 1st Class. Based at Gibraltar. HMS Erne was wrecked off the Isle of Sal, one of the Cape de Verde Islands, with all the crew saved. On 1 June 1819 and the captain and his crew were taken to Barbados in a Portuguese vessel. Cdr. Timothy Scriven CB returned to England in the Columbo on 14th August and was censured at a court martial six days later thus losing the promotion to post rank which had already been listed.

Scriven retired to Jersey, where he died in 1824.

HMS Euryalus (frigate 36) 16th July 1819 to 22nd Jan 1821
Vol. 1st Class. Joined Euryalus which was based at Jamaica station. Promoted to midshipman 2nd January 1820. Euryalus, Tamar, Confiance, Ontario, Bann, Parthian, Sophie, Nautilus, and Raleigh, have been supplied with instructions that should the right circumstances arise, authorising them to detain Portuguese or Spanish vessels in accordance with the several Treaties with foreign powers for preventing the Illegal Traffic in slaves with those countries.

HMS Euryalus
HMS Nautilus (Sloop 18) 23rd Jan 1821 to 12th May 1821
Midshipman. West Indies, based at Jamaica. Taken sick and moved to Serapis.

HMS Serapis (convalescent and store-ship – ex-frigate 44)13th May 1821 to 1st June 1821
Supernumerary for convalescence.

HMS Euryalus (frigate 36) 2nd June 1821 to 25th August 1821
On recovery, returned to Euryalus as a midshipman. Jamaica station. Returned to Portsmouth and paid off.

HMS Semiramis (frigate 36) 26th September 1821 to 27th April 1824.

Midshipman. Based at Cork, Ireland. On 10 November 1821 Rear Ad. Lord Colville hoisted his flag in Semiramis as C. in C. on the Irish station. On leave for six months from 30th April 1822 then re-joined on 4th December 1822 at Cork. Detained and sent into Cork the Bausee, a smuggling lugger from Flushing, laden with 1,300 bales of tobacco etc.

HMS Infernal (Bomb 6 + 2 Mortars) 28th April 1824 to 7th October 1824.
Rated AB on books, then rated Master’s Mate 12 days later. Based at Deptford, then on a follow up expedition to Algiers.

HMS Prince Regent (Falmouth packet) 20th October 1824 to 5th May 1826
Master’s Mate. 21 Jan 1824 Arrived Falmouth, from Rio de Janeiro which she left on 21 Nov 23. 6 Feb 1824 departed Falmouth for the Mediterranean. Corfu (21 March); Malta (9 April) ; Gibraltar (28 Apr). 7 May 1824 arrived back at Falmouth from the Mediterranean; 23 Jun 1824 departed Falmouth for the Brazil. Rio de Janeiro (29 Aug); Bahia (18 Sep); Pernambuco (26 Sep); spoke 15 Oct in 21 31 the Euphemeria, Norie, from Pernambuco for Hamburg, leaky, and supplied her with pump gear, Acting Lieut. Lugg in command. 10 Nov 1824 arrived back at Falmouth. 10 Dec 1824 departed Falmouth for the Mediterranean Corfu (23 Jan); Malta (1 Feb) ; Gib (9 Mar) ; Cadiz (10th). 4 Apr 1825 arrived back at Falmouth. 10 Apr 1825 departed Falmouth for Jamaica.23 Jul 1825 arrived Falmouth from Jamaica. 22 Aug 1825 departed Falmouth for Buenos Ayres. (7 Nov); and from Monte Video (12th). 17 Jan 1826, arrived Falmouth from Buenos Ayres. 12 Feb 1826, departed Falmouth for New York, America (4 May), and Halifax (17th).

HMS Raleigh (Brig-sloop 16) 6th May 1826 to 17th Sept. 1829.
Mate. Act. Lieut. Circa 18 Apr 1826. Capt. Dalling. in command. 26 Jun 1826 it is reported in the Portsmouth newspapers that she is fitting for the Mediterranean, and is expected Portsmouth shortly. 13 Jul 1826 departed Chatham and the Medway for Spithead with 70 men from the Ganges. 18 Jul 1826 arrived Spithead from Chatham. 23 Jul 1826 departed Spithead for the Mediterranean. 3 Sep 1826 arrived Valetta, Malta, from England, a passage of 40 days. 21 Nov 1826 a letter from Malta reports that the Raleigh is stationed off Alexandria. Appointed act. Lieut 13th Sep 1823 on the death of Lieut. Geo. Wyndham of the Raleigh, at Malta Hospital, late son of R.-Adm. Wyndham. 12 Dec 1826 it is reported from Malta that the Raleigh is stationed off Alexandria / Syria. On 27 Jan 1827 Lieut. W.F. Young has been apptd. to the Raleigh and Lloyd reverts to Mate. 3 Feb 1827 Lieut. Wm. Dickson apptd. to the Raleigh vice, Wyndham, deceased. 31 Mar 1827 at Malta. 12 May 1827 Malta, reported to be on convoy duties in the Ionian Islands. 27 Sep 1827 departed Smyrna for Constantinople with convoy of 6 vessels. 5 Nov 1827 at Smyrna with the Cambrian, Dryad, Gannet and Camelion, and a number of military vessels from other European nations, pending instructions, the possibility of war being present, with the need to evacuate Europeans. 19 Dec 1827 still at Smyrna protecting British trade and residents. 29 Jan 1828 Lieut. Sir W. Dickinson, Bart., apptd. to the Raleigh, per the newspapers, however I note that in the Navy List the name is spelt Dickson, seniority as Lieut. 15 Oct 1822. 11 Feb 1828 Cdr. J.W. Dalling promoted Captain, Cdr. J.B. Dundas to the Raleigh. 20 Mar 1828 remains at Smyrna. 24 May 1828 arrived Valletta, from Carabusa with a small convoy of transports. 4 Jun 1828 refitting at Malta. 10 Jul 1828 still refitting at Valletta. 14 Aug 1828 with a squadron off Alexandria, including the ship of the line Ocean, the frigate Blonde, and sloops Pelorus, Pelican, and Mosquito. It was reported that Greek slaves had been given over to the British Consul by the Pacha. 6 Sep 1828 Cdr. J.B. Dundas, promoted Captain. Cdr. George Haye apptd. to the Raleigh. 25 Oct 1828 British newspapers report the Regatta held at Alexandria, with the French joining in the fun, much to the amusement of the local Pachas, and on a more serious note reported a few days later that 200 Greek slaves were to be sent to Engina within the spirit of the agreement entered into with Sir Edward Codrington. 17 Nov 1828 arrived Corfu with Mr. Elphinstone and dispatches. 30 Nov, 1828 Malta, the Blonde and Raleigh were reported to be at Patras. 20 Dec 1828 French papers report that the Raleigh arrived Corfu, 10 days from Poros (Patras?) 4 Mar 1829 UK papers report Cdr. George Haye promoted Captain. Lieut. Sir Wm. Dickson, Bart., promoted to Cdr. apptd. in command. 15 Apr 1829 reported to be back at Smyrna, with the Ocean and Samarang. 27 May 1829 arrived Malta with the French frigate Didone in 4 days from Navarino, and is to refit. 29 Aug 1829 at Malta.

HMS Isis (3rd rate 60) 18th September 1829 to
Mate. 15 Nov 1829 arrived Valletta from the Archipelago with despatches. 11 Feb 1830 Was gone to Port Mahon to bring back the officers and crew of the Pelorus, struck on a rock at the entrance of that port on 21 Dec 1829, and was bilged. 3 Apr 1830 Remains at Valletta. 25 May 1830 arrived Portsmouth from the Mediterranean. 27 May 1830 arrived Deal and remains. Ship paid off and Lloyd goes onto half pay for three years.

HMS Aetna (surveying sloop 6, ex bomb ) 14th Oct 1834 to 3rd October 1835
Lieutenant. Portsmouth, Saturday. 23 Aug 1834 The Etna surveying vessel, Commander Arlett (acting), will be paid off on Monday, and re-commissioned. 25 Aug 1834 The Catherina Johanna, from Amsterdam to Marseilles, was in collision with the Aetna on the 8th Aug., off Start Point, and has not since been heard of ; two of the crew jumped on board the latter. 22 Sep 1834 Lieutenant G. C. Mends, appointed, vice Beddoes, 06 Oct 1834 Commander R. L. Warren, appointed to the Aetna; Portsmouth Nov. 8 1834 This afternoon, the Aetna and Raven went out of the harbour. fitted for surveying the Canary Islands and the shores of Western Africa. Portsmouth Nov 11 1834 The Aetna, Lieutenant Arlett, and the Raven cutter, Lieutenant Kellet, departed for Madeira and Teneriffe, whence they will proceed to survey the coast of Africa to the northward of Cape Bojador, and thence the line of coast to the Straits of Gibraltar. 17 Nov 1834 Mr. Francis H. A. P. Balley, volunteer 1st class, Mr. J. Chalmers, assistant surgeon, and Mr. A. P. Brickwood, second master, have been appointed to the Aetna. James Chalmers, asst surgeon, RN, died on board HMS Aetna off the coast of Morocco 4th April 1835, age 26yrs. 23 Dec 1834 Reported to be at the Canary Islands. Portsmouth 18 Apr 1835 is reported to have been at Mogadore on 25 Mar. 
Portsmouth 12 Sep 1835 The survey ship Aetna and her tender Raven arrived Thursday from Teneriffe, having completed the survey of the Canary Islands. The Aetna remains at Spithead, whilst the Raven has come into the harbour. Portsmouth 26 Sep 1835 has been docked. Portsmouth 3 Oct 1835 paid off. Lloyd goes on half pay for the next 5 years.

HMS Rodney (2nd rate 92) 13th May 1840 to 4th November 1841
Lieutenant. Ship refitting in Plymouth. 16 May 1840. Joined by Lieutenant J. H. Lloyd (11th July). 17 Jul 1840 Plymouth, her refit is expected will be complete by the end of the month. 22 Aug 1840 Plymouth, was towed into the Sound by the Carron steamer. To Cork. 17 Sep 1840 departed from Cork for Malta. 28 Sep 1840 arrived at Gibraltar and departed for the Levant.

21 Jan 1824 Arrived Falmouth, from Rio de Janeiro which she left on 21 Nov 23. 6 Feb 1824 departed Falmouth for the Mediterranean. Corfu (21 March) ; Malta (9 April) ; Gibraltar (28 Apr). 7 May 1824 arrived back at Falmouth from the Mediterranean, 23 Jun 1824 departed Falmouth for the Brazils. Rio de Janeiro (29 Aug) ; Bahia (18 Sep) ; Pernambuco (26 Sep) spoke 15 Oct in 21 31 the Euphemeria, Norie, from Pernambuco for Hamburgh, leaky, and supplied her with pump gear, Acting Lieut. Lugg in command. 10 Nov 1824 arrived back at Falmouth. 10 Dec 1824 departed Falmouth for the Mediterranean Corfu (23 Jan) ; Malta (1 Feb) ; Gib (9 Mar) ; Cadiz (10th). 4 Apr 1825 arrived back at Falmouth.
10 Apr 1825 departed Falmouth for Jamaica.23 Jul 1825 arrived Falmouth from Jamaica. 22 Aug 1825 departed Falmouth for Buenos Ayres. (7 Nov); and from Monte Video (12th). 17 Jan 1826, arrived Falmouth from Buenos Ayres. 12 Feb 1826, departed Falmouth for New York, ,America. (4 May) and Halifax (17th).

Rodney leaving Barcelona in 1837

13 Oct 1840 arrived Malta with the 19th Regiment. Aug - Nov 1840 Capture of Acre and operations on the coast of Syria. Turkish Medals awarded to the Officers and Men employed during the Campaign.

Early Dec 1840, stood off the coast of Levant following receipt of a signal reporting Peace with Egypt : on the 2 Dec It came on to blow and the squadron experienced a heavy gale in which some vessels off the Syrian coast went ashore, the Zebra being lost in the bay of Khaifa and the Pique and Bellerophon being nearly lost. 8 Dec 1840 the squadron arrived in Marmorice Bay. 18 Feb 1841 Parliament was informed that the Rodney had been fitted with Harris's Lightning Conductors since 9 Jul 1839. 10 Apr 1841 departed from Marmorice-bay, for Malta. 21 Apr 1841 arrived at Malta. 30 May 1841 had left Malta for Sicily to water, returning again after visiting Naples. 25 Jun 1841 at Malta. 4 Jul 1841 departed Malta for the coast of Syria with the Calcutta and Cambridge, later to be joined by the Vanguard, once she's watered at Gozo. 23 Jul 1841 arrived Alexandria from Beyrout with the Calcutta. 7 Aug 1841 was reported to be leaving Alexandria on a cruise with the Calcutta. 22 Aug 1841 departed Beyrout for Alexandria. 27 Aug 1841 arrived at Djouné. 6 Sep 1841 anchored off Alexandria, having arrived from the coast of Syria. 16 Sep 1841 cruising off Alexandria. 4 Oct 1841 arrived Malta, from Alexandria, and thence home to be paid off.

On half pay for the next 13 years.

For some reason Lt. John Hughes Lloyd, was not awarded the ‘Syria’ clasp to the NGS medal. He is on Captain Robert Maunsell’s* original list of those present off the coast of Syria (Captain of Rodney 13th May 1840 to 16th October 1843 – see appendix for full list) .and the blockading of Alexandria in October, November and December 1840. (Lloyd did claim the clasp – see note on original ‘Algiers’ roll of 1849 - below). His medal with clasp ‘Algiers’ was issued and is named to him as a 1st Class Volunteer, whereas if it had both clasps, it would have been named to him as a ‘Lieut.’. Lieut J.H. Lloyd was awarded the Sultan’s St. Jean d’Acre medal in silver for his services off Syria, and is on the medal roll as having been delivered on 11th May 1842.

Lloyd married, on 13th February 1843, Mary, only child of Lucas Yeo Ward, Esq., of the Army Medical Department, a scion of the Wards of Northamptonshire, on the island of Malta. 

Eventually he was offered a full pay position, which he accepted

HMS Devonshire (3rd rate 74) 13 July 1854 to 22nd April 1856
In command. Devonshire was used as a prison hulk for holding Russian prisoners of war from the Crimea and Baltic. On 12th April 1856, Vice-Admiral the Hon William Gordon recommended him ‘for his zeal and intelligence. Ship ‘paid off’ 22nd April 1856, presumably with the PoW’s returned home.

Agent for Mails 12th May 1856 to 20th October 1863
Probably as a result of Vice-Admiral Gordon’s recommendation, he was further employed as Admiralty Agent on board Contract Mail Steam-vessels. However, he was reported by the Foreign Office for failing to report the non-delivery of mail bags behind at St. Thomas’s, On 30th April 1857 he was suspended for negligence. However, he must have had a good excuse, as his position restored a few days later, on 9th May 1857.

He was placed on the Retired List, 1st August 1860, and on. 7th October 1863 promoted Commander on the Retired list.

n.b. One Lieutenant (Agent for Mails) was to be promoted to the rank of Commander annually either on account of long and good service, of meritorious conduct on some special occasion, or on account of injury received by the officer in the execution of his duty; but inasmuch as, from the average age of the Lieutenants employed on this service, it may be presumed that the officer so promoted would not long be available for active employment. It seems that Vice-Admiral Gordon was still looking out for him.

On retirement he lived with his wife at Douro Villa, Woolston, Southampton, and died at Haslar Naval Hospital, Southampton, on 31st May 1866 at the age of 63 while still on the Retired List.

Code: 51280